Frank (Francesco) Antonio BODO (BODOIRA)
- Born: Jan 16, 1894, San Maurizio Canavese, Italy
- Marriage (1): Clara Johanna ZIMMERMANN on Nov 24, 1934 in Detroit, Michigan USA
- Died: Mar 30, 1969, Keuka, Florida at age 75
- Buried: Apr 11, 1969, Cadillac Memorial Cemetary, Clinton Twsp. Michigan
Another name for Frank was Francesco (Fco - 1901 Manifest) (Chiking- Nickname) BODOIRA.
Note: Frank Bodo ancentral name of Bodoira is spelled at times Bodoyra, Bodojra and even Boudoria. Also following are notes tat he was originally brought to the mayor as the child of a woman at the farm who declined to be named and they gave him the surname of BADOJARO
RECORD #7 - BADOJARO FRANCESCO DI IGNOTO
L'anno mille ottocentonovanta quattro , addi diciotto di gennaio ,
a ore anti meridiane dieci e minuti _______, nella Casa Comunale.
Avanti di me Bertaloggone Cavaliere Avvocato [Alesino?] Sindaco [ad?]
In the year 1894, on the 18th day of January, at 10:00AM. Before the Mayor...
Ufficiale dello Stato Civile del Commune di San Maurizio Canavese è comparso
Bodoira Francesco , di anni trentuno ,
(*) Agricoltore domiciliato in San Maurizio Canavese ,
il quale mi ha dichiarato che alle ore - po meridiane quattro e minuti
trenta , del di sedici del mese di gennaio ,
nella casa posta in questo Commune Via della [senole/sonolo?] , al numero
Civico [?], da una donna che non consenta di [a far?] nominata.
at the San Maurizio Canavese civil records office appeared BODOIRA Francesco, aged thirty-one, (*) Farmer domiciled in San Maurizio Canavese, who told me that at 4:30 PM on 16 JANUARY, in the house located in the Commune Via della...a woman who does not consent to being named...
nato un bambino di sesso mascolino che _gli mi presenta e a cui di nomi di
Francesco Antonio [ed?] il cognome di Badojaro .
A quanto sopra e a questo atto sono stati presenti quali testimoni Novero
Paolo di anni cinquantacinque (*) Segretarto Communale ,
e Borasio Pietro di anni cinquantasei (*) Messo Communale entrambi residenti in questo Comune.
a boy of masculine sex was born who he names FRANCESCO ANTONIO and the surname of BADOJARO. Present as witnesses to the above and to this act [are] NOVERO Paolo aged fifty-five
(*) Communal Secretariat, and BORASIO Pietro aged fifty-six (*) Communale Messenger, both residents of this Municipality .
NARRATIVE AT BOTTOM OF RECORD
Il dichiarante ha donunciata la nascita sudetta,
(the declarant reported the aforementioned birth),
perchè avvenuta nella casa sua propria,
(because it occurred in his own house),
nella qualitia di padrone,
(in the capacity of master),
Ed avendonni fatta istanza di lasciare a lui il detto bambino,
(and having made a request to leave the said child to him),
promettendo alla presenza dei suindicati testimoni,
(promising in the presence of the aforementioned witnesses),
di assumerne Patto [unknown word] il/da custodia,
(assume the contract/agreement of custody - i.e., agrees to undertaking custody of the child)
nonché di darne conto ad ogni richiosta dell'autorita,
(as well as report to this authority whenever requested/required)
e nulla trovando [incontrario] a tale istanza,
(and finding nothing [contrary] to such a request),
[or...ora?] ho aderito,
(now I have joined?),
ed ho lasciato [al di?] chiarante il bambino [madeformo/ __adesorno].
(and I left to the declarant the child...?)
Letto il presente atto agli intervenuti mi sono contrutti sotto [unknown word.]
(Basic meaning: this account was read to the persons and witnesses signed below)
_____BODOIRA Francesco______ ,
NOVERO Paolo testo [< witness ] ,
BORASIO Pietro testo [< witness] ,
[unreadable signature of the "Sindaco"] .
... 23 [novembre?] 1912 ho scritto ... nascita di San Maurizio Casa ... Il neonato BADOIARO Francesco ... nosciuto qual figlio da BODOIRA Francesco.
(Translation: From what I can glean, on 23 Nov 1912, a notary by the name of Borghesi had written that -- or perhaps Francesco Antonio had written to the notary to communicate that he - the infant named BADOIARO Francesco, born at the San Maurizio Casa, is known as the son of Francesco Bodoira.
This marginalia note is signed and dated by a GG on 21 JULY 1913. Given that Francesco Sr. died 13 MAR 1913, this marginalia note was probably made in response to my Francesco Bodoira seeking a copy of Francesco Pietro's birth record in order to legally settle his father's affairs.)
PERSONAL COMMENTARY FOR FAMILY:
On all the other birth registry records of our earlier BODOIRA ancestors (see the birth records of the children born to BODOIRA Michele Lino and MILONE Catterina, for instance), the nomi di line lists the child's first name only, not the cognome. This is because the declarant was known or understood to be the father.
According to geneaological research sites and articles on Italian foundlings, the specification of "di [cognome] on the "nomi di" line of the certificate was necessary to give a foundling a made-up family name, since it could not be inferred by the surname of the declarant. Note the differences in spelling between the declarant's cognome (BODOIRA) and the cognome given to the infant BADOJARO. This may have been deliberate on Francesco Bodoira's part.
The above information, plus the mother's desire to remain anonymous, and the handwritten index entry for this record as "BADOJARO Francesco di Ignoto," which specifies that the father is unknown, suggests a few possibilities:
1. Francesco Bodoira was a foundling of whom Catterina and Francesco kindly took custodial charge. (As a foundling he may have had no biological relation to Catterina and Francesco.)
2. Francesco Bodoira was the illegitimate child of Catterina, or of Francesco, or of the two as an unwed couple.
3. This record doesn't actually record our Francesco Antonio's birth. Rather, he chose to claim it as his own in order to declare filial rights to Francesco Pietro's estate, which would have been necessary in 1913 for him to settle Francesco Pietro's estate on the behalf of Catterina.
4. Anyone's guess.
From Anne M. Champagne researvch. See Document from Town records
Noted events in his life were:
1. Immigration: Returned with Brother Louis in 1911, Dec 6, 1911. Name was mispelled here and also in Bostin in 19920 was listed as a male with female name of Francesca. In other spots the name is listed as Bodoiro.
2. Taken Prisoner of War - WW1: Captured in Austrian Trenches, Sep 5, 1916. Taken prisoner of war September 5, 1916 - in Austria and sent to wrk farm in Checkoslovakia. ee Red Cross Document.
3. First Communion: Done in Italy, Feb 6, 1901, San Maurizio Canavese, Italy. The mystery is when did he come here. As an infact? Then back? Then back here in 1910 or 11? Think so. he was confirmed in Italy in December 10, 1910.
4. Confirmation: Confirmed in Italy, Dec 4, 1910. Confirmed in S. Maurizio Canavese by Monsignor Castrale. He must have returned to US with half brother Louis afterwards. Two yearws later his father would die and he'd return to Italy.
5. Emmigrated with family 1901: Ellis Island to Durango, Feb 17, 1901, Ellis Ilsland, NY. Emmigrated with father Francesco pietro, mother Caterina, sister Vittoria (Victoria), and half brother Luigi (Louis)
They lis his age as 5 ... means he would have been born in 1896. List his siter as 7. Perhaps they got the dates swapped.
6. Emmigrated to USA: Returned to USA after WW1, May 13, 1920, Boston. After WW1 returnbed to USA on the ship Cretic. He nake a friend as Michele (Brother in Durango, which is where he was planning to go.
7. wedding: Married in Detroit, Nov 24, 1934, Lutheran Church.
Frank married Clara Johanna ZIMMERMANN, daughter of Carl Frederick ZIMMERMANN and Clara Rufina Wilhelmina KUKUK, on Nov 24, 1934 in Detroit, Michigan USA. (Clara Johanna ZIMMERMANN was born on Sep 29, 1913 in Detroit, Michigan USA and died on Jun 4, 1965 in Detroit, Michigan USA.)